13) Paulson signed on to play Lana Winters without even knowing what the role was.
14) The first scene she shot as Lana was when she undergoes shock therapy.
15) Paulson’s work in Asylum was some of the hardest and most emotionally draining acting she’s ever done. She said, “There were moments where I did go into a corner on the set and just bawl my eyes out because it was just a very traumatic thing to play.”
16) Denis O’Hare’s makeup for Spalding in Coven was partially inspired by Riff Raff from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
17) For the first few episodes of Coven when Cordelia loses her sight, Paulson actually couldn’t see because of the contact lenses she had to wear — they later gave her a set of contacts where she could partially see.
18) Kathy Bates’s Baltimore accent in Freak Show was so difficult to learn that she even talked with it off-screen.
19) Ben Woolf, who played Meep, was actually a preschool teacher IRL. His work on American Horror Story was an extra job.
20) Paulson’s scenes as Bette and Dot in Freak Show took 12-15 hours to film.
21) She would record her dialogue as one of the twins and then wear an earpiece and listen to herself while playing the other.
22) Special effects artists created two animatronic heads for Bette and Dot. The conjoined twins were a combination of the animatronic heads and special effects created in post-production.